UV420 Plasma Grow Light
The UV420 is a complementary grow-light designed to work alongside HPS and LED units to deliver a broader solar spectrum and a superior growing environment.
Powerful UV-A and UV-B output:
- Emits UV-B blocked by greenhouse glass
- Triggers the UVR8 monomer at 280-290 nm
- High lamp output maintenance during its life
More UV-A and UV-B than other grow-lights:
- Normal LED and HPS units do not output UV-B
- More UV-B than fluorescent lamps
- Spectral output modified by simple filter change.
UV-A and UV-B are vital for plants:
- Boosts terpenes, essential oils, flavonoids
- Drives form, flavour, aroma and colour
- Raises nutritional and medicinal values.
Genuine added value light:
- Stronger faster growth and shorter crop cycles
- More resinous, improved quality and higher yields
- Reduce costs, add value and increase returns.
Cultivates an organic regime:
- UV-A/UV-B trigger resistance to many pathogens and pests
- Less need for hazardous chemicals
- Minimises residual contaminants for safer consumption.
Please contact us here for prices and delivery arrangements.
Reviews & Trials
The UV420 grow-light is reviewed by Shane Torpey on his Migro YouTube channel. Describing it as a ‘super cool UV cannon’, his full review can be found here.
Trials at the Bridge Farm Group on industrial hemp and salads boosted oils, colour and flavour - watch Andrew Fuller (Bridge Farm's Technical Director) interviewed here.
UV-B (280-315 nm) - the most energetic part of the spectrum and crucial for plants:
- Flavonoid synthesis initiated via the UV-R8 monomer drives nutritional and medicinal properties
- Boost secondary metabolites eg essential oils, phenolics, terpenoids and antioxidants
- Accelerates photosynthesis for strong, compact plants with robust leaves
- Triggers resistance to fungal pathogens and pests eg powdery mildew
- 280-290 nm is the most efficient range to stress the plant (photon efficiency).
UV-A (315-400 nm) - induces several photomorphogenic responses:
- Plants perceive and respond to UV-A to enhance growth and flowering
- Encourages development of antioxidants in some plant species
- In strawberries, more fruit with higher anthocyanin and sugar content.
Blue (400−495 nm) - the highest energy visible light:
- Absorbed by chlorophyll B to help counter the effects of shade
- Increases stomatal opening for CO2, water transpiration and nutrient uptake
- Boosts production of secondary metabolites eg flavonoids and essential oils.
Medicinal Cannabis Cultivation: Potent cannabis strains originate within equatorial and high altitude regions where UV-A and UV-B exposure is intense. It should be no surprise then that UV grow-lights for indoor cannabis cultivation boosts cannabinoid yields. Independent trials on medicinal cannabis boosted cannabinoids by up to 40%.
|UV420 Total Light Delivered Over 2.0 m2|
|Other Plasma - 56 Watts||CMH - 77 Watts||UV420 - 115 Watts|
The dose in the UV grow-light comprises completely evaporated metal halides, eliminating any degradation on the capsule's inner surfaces during operation to enable a lamp life in excess of 30,000 hours. Capsules in other plasma and metal halide lamps suffer material stress caused by chemical reactivity of the metal halide liquid pool, which is the precursor to failure and reduced life.
UV-B is also important for our own human bodies:
- Vitamin D is a steroid hormone naturally produced in the skin on exposure to UV-B
- Unlike other nutrients, we produce vitamin D on exposure to UV-B from the sun
- Vitamin D, the sunshine vitamin, is an important nutrient for overall well-being.
UV420 Plasma Grow-light is a Perfect Complementary Grow-Light
With a spectrum concentrated from 280-550 nm, this plasma grow-light complements normal PAR grow-lights. Plants need loads of PAR for photosynthesis and growth, and they need UV-B for quality and value. In their natural habitats, plants receive varying UV-A and UV-B depending on season, latitude and altitude; they rarely display signs of UV-damage as they have evolved natural sunscreens.
In greenhouses, plants receive little solar UV-A and ALL UV-B is absorbed by glass. Other grow lights deliver PAR but variable UV-A and little if any UV-B. The result is that greenhouse crops can have inferior nutritional values, flavours and colours. No other commercially available grow-lights, including LEDs, can provide such intense UV-B output.
The UV-B, UV-A and blue activate key pigments and photoreceptors in plants. The chart below shows how the UV420 spectrum complements a typical HPS in targeting the absorption spectra for chlorophyll a and b and the vital UVR8 photoreceptor that initiates a plant's stress response to UV-B.
Photosynthetic Pigments, UVR8 Receptor & UV420 Spectrum with HPS Spectrum (Ceravision)
Adjustable UV Output
The quantity and wavelength of light reaching the crop can be modified according to the reflector glass selected (see charts below):
- White frame, factory fitted in unit, provides lots of blue and little UV-A and UV-B.
- Red frame, fitted to the unit, provides enhanced UV-A and UV-B.
- Blue frame, available from suppliers, provides enhanced UV-A.
UV420 Spectrum - Relative Light Quantity
UV420 Spectrum - Relative Light Quantity 250-400 nm
|UV420 Cone Diagram|
|Product||Ceravision UV420 UV Grow-light|
|Power Consumption||420 Watts|
|Mains Supply Voltage||110-240 Volts at A/C 50-60 Hz|
|Dimensions||400 x 400 x 195mm|
|Ambient Operating Temperature||0oC to 35oC|
The UV420 grow-light is CE marked having completed compliance testing by independent laboratories to all relevant international standards.
For further information about the use of UV light equipment and to ensure that you have the relevant health and safety information to ensure safe use and compliance with your legal obligations please visit UV Light Technology Limited here.
If you would like more information about these UV grow-lights please email us here.
We are actively looking to work with innovative hydroponic retailers to stock, promote and sell these unique grow-lights to end-users. We offer commercial terms, the potential for good margins along with first-class service and technical support.
Interested in becoming a stockist - contact us with your details here.
Delivering flexible spectral outputs, plasma lighting offers practical economic solutions in horticulture and other applications requiring natural solar levels of UV-A and UV-B, or UV-C for sterilisation.
Plasma Light Technology
Ceravision’s plasma grow-lights, with a spectrum providing UV-B, UV-A and blue herald a new scientific future in horticulture lighting and UV-B is beneficial for humans producing the vitamin D essential for health.
Ceravision maintains an extensive Intellectual Property (“IP”) portfolio comprising Patents, Trade Marks and Design Rights.