UV420 Plasma Grow Light
The UV420 plasma grow-light is a complementary grow-light fixture designed to help advance the genetic potential of plants and plant strains.
Powerful UV-A and UV-B output:
- Emits UV-B blocked by greenhouse glass
- High lamp output maintenance during its life
- Works alongside other lights eg HPS and LEDs.
More UV-A and UV-B than other grow-lights:
- Normal grow-lights do not output UV-B
- Spectral output modified by simple filter change.
UV-A and UV-B are vital for plants:
- Triggers UVR8 photoreceptor at 280-290 nm
- Boosts levels of terpenes, essential oils, flavonoids
- Drives form, flavour, aroma and colour
- Raises nutritional and medicinal values.
Genuine added value light:
- Stronger faster growth and shorter crop cycles
- More resinous, improved quality and higher yields
- Reduce costs, add value and increase returns.
Cultivates an organic regime:
- UV-A/UV-B trigger resistance to many pathogens and pests
- Reduces use of hazardous chemical fungicides and pesticides
- Minimises residual contaminants.
Crops grown under UV420s produce higher levels of terpenes, essential oils and flavonoids. Trials with medicinal cannabis boosted cannabinoids by up to 40%. And research by the American Council on Science and Health demonstrated that tomatoes taste better when they are grown under UV-A and UV-B.
Trials at the Bridge Farm Group on industrial hemp and salads boosted oils, colour and flavour - see Andrew Fuller, Bridge Farm's Technical Director interviewed by Shane Torpey of MIGRO here.
Blue Light (400−495 nm) has the highest energy in visible light:
- Absorbed by chlorophyll B to help counter the effects of shade
- Increases stomatal opening for CO2, water transpiration and nutrient uptake
- Boosts production of secondary metabolites eg flavonoids and essential oils.
UV-A (315-400 nm) induces several photomorphogenic responses:
- Plants perceive and respond to UV-A to enhance growth and flowering
- Encourages development of antioxidants in some plant species
- In strawberries, more fruit with higher anthocyanin and sugar content.
UV-B (280-315 nm) is the most energetic part of the spectrum and crucial for plants:
- Flavonoid synthesis initiated via UVR8 drives nutritional and medicinal properties
- Boost secondary metabolites eg essential oils, phenolics, terpenoids and antioxidants
- Increases stomatal development to accelerate photosynthesis
- Creates stronger, more compact plants with robust leaves
- Triggers resistance to fungal pathogens and pests eg powdery mildew
- 280-290 nm is the most efficient range to stress the plant - Photon Efficiency.
Medicinal Cannabis Cultivation: Potent cannabis strains originate within equatorial and high altitude regions where UV-A and UV-B exposure is intense. It should be no surprise then that UV grow-lights for indoor cannabis cultivation boosts cannabinoid yields.
|UV420 Total Light Delivered Over 2.0 m2|
|Other Plasma - 56 Watts||CMH - 77 Watts||UV420 - 115 Watts|
The dose in the UV420 plasma grow-light comprises completely evaporated metal halides. This eliminates any degradation on the capsule's inner surfaces during operation enabling a lamp life in excess of 30,000 hours. Capsules in other plasma and metal halide lamps suffer from material stress caused by chemical reactivity of the metal halide liquid pool, which is the precursor to failure and reduced life.
UV420 Plasma Grow-light is a Perfect Complementary Grow-Light
With a spectrum concentrated from 280-550 nm, this plasma grow-light complements high PAR grow-lights. Plants need lots of PAR light for photosynthesis and growth, but they need UV-B for quality and value. In their natural environment plants receive varying amounts of UV-A and UV-B depending on season,latitude and altitude. They rarely display signs of UV-damage because they have evolved natural sunscreens.
In greenhouses plants receive little solar UV-A and ALL UV-B is absorbed by glass. Other grow lights deliver PAR but variable UV-A and no UV-B. The result is that greenhouse crops have inferior nutritional values, flavours and colours. The UV420 grow-light provides the 'missing' UV-B and UV-A all year round at whatever location.
The unit delivers high levels of UV-B, UV-A and blue to activate the key pigments and photoreceptors in plants. The chart below shows how the UV420 spectrum complements a typical HPS in respect of the absorption spectra for chlorophyll 'a' and 'b' and the vital UVR8 photoreceptor that initiates a plant's stress response to UV-B.
Photosynthetic Pigments, UVR8 Receptor & UV420 Spectrum with HPS Spectrum (Ceravision)
The UV420 is a perfect complementary grow-light for high value crops:
- Improved rooting, germination, vegetative growth, flowering and yield
- Abundant trichomes so more terpenes, essential oils and flavonoids
- Protection from molds, mildew and pests so less chemicals
- UV now 'lights up' the flowers to attract pollinators
- Low maintenance,low running costs and compatible with contactors and timers
- Small light source, compact luminaire and minimal shadowing
- Easily changed reflector with UV-B and UV-A options to suit growth stage
- Low lamp degradation, 50,000hrs+ magnetron life and a tough, durable casing
- Post-harvest, it continues to boost secondary metabolites and extend shelf-life
- Between crop cycles it can help sterilise surfaces to eliminate mold and bacteria.
Adjustable UV Output
The quantity and wavelength of light reaching the crop can be modified according to the reflector glass selected (see charts below):
- White frame, factory fitted in unit, provides lots of blue and little UV-A and UV-B.
- Red frame, fitted to the unit, provides enhanced UV-A and UV-B.
- Blue frame, available from suppliers, provides enhanced UV-A.
UV420 Spectrum - Relative Light Quantity
UV420 Spectrum - Relative Light Quantity 250-400 nm
|UV420 Cone Diagram|
|Product||Ceravision UV420 UV Grow-light|
|Power Consumption||420 Watts|
|Mains Supply Voltage||110-240 Volts at A/C 50-60 Hz|
|Dimensions||400 x 400 x 195mm|
|Ambient Operating Temperature||0oC to 35oC|
The UV420 grow-light is CE marked having completed compliance testing by independent laboratories to all relevant international standards.
For further information about the use of UV light equipment and to make sure that you have the relevant health and safety information to ensure safe use and compliance with your legal obligations please visit UV Light Technology Limited here.
If you would like more information about these UV grow-lights please email us here.
We are actively looking to work with innovative hydroponic retailers to stock, promote and sell these unique grow-lights to end-users. We offer commercial terms, the potential for good margins along with first-class service and technical support.
Interested in becoming a stockist - we'd like to hear from you.
Please email us with your details here.
Delivering flexible spectral outputs, Ceravision's HEP plasma lighting offers added-value and economic solutions in horticulture grow-lighting and other commercial applications.
HEP Plasma Lighting Technology
Ceravision’s HEP plasma grow-lights, with a spectrum providing UV-B, UV-A and blue herald a new scientific future in horticulture lighting.
Ceravision maintains an extensive Intellectual Property (“IP”) portfolio comprising Patents, Trade Marks and Design Rights.